View Single Post
Old 05-03-2005, 02:24 PM   #38
Fast Eddie
V.I.P. Member

Fast Eddie is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Fast Eddie Send a message via Yahoo to Fast Eddie
You are correct again, the alt does not turn on and off I am mistaken. (Im not doing to good with typing these explanations, i think the medium is the problem)

Anyways, the mechanical force to turn the alternator is not based on electric load. The alt produces a set amount of electrical energy, based on engine speed (there are more variables but we assume they are constant). That is then manipulated by the diode pack to convert from AC to DC and by the voltage regulator to meet the demands placed on the battery. Conceptually the alt is powering the whole electric system. In reality the battery is powering the elec. system and the alternator is maintaining the battery's amount of chemical energy. Like I said before the battery acts like a huge Cap. in this system.

The alt changes mechanical energy (via a crank pulley) to electrical energy. (I will leave it that simple cause I believe this application is that simple.) When that electrical comes into the battery it is turned into chemical energy and stored. When an electrical device needs electrical energy the battery converts the stored chemical energy into electrical energy and voila. If there were no volt regulator on the alt. then when the battery had converted all the electrical energy it could store into chem. energy the electrical energy would begin turning into thermal energy and you could experince some serious problems, like the battery melting, or worse. The whole system is a push-pull system with the battery in the middle. The alt pushes energy into the battery and accesories pull the energy from the battery. The battery is constanly discharging, however in normal operation it is constantly charging as well.

Your argument is like saying the hose fills my pool faster when I want more water or slower when it is full. In reality the hose fills at a constant rate but the number of people splashing (accesories) determines how much water leaves the pool. The beauty of electricity is that you can maintain the same power, and manipulate the Amps and voltage to suit your needs. Kinda like saying there is less water entering the pool but its wetter.

In conclusion an electric fan does not cost wheel (or engine) horsepower.