View Single Post
Old 10-08-2011, 09:14 AM   #10
Mike The Canadian
GL Member

Mike The Canadian is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXManwhoreXx View Post
Yea my moms mini van had the same motor as the car I was trying to make decently fast..... Fail

I just dont get it.... Why wasnt it a dohc, they're more efficient, more light weight, easier for the techs to work on.

The Corvette LS motors beg to differ.
This is a huge argument (and in my opinion misconception).

An OHV motor requires a larger displacement to make the same power; however this does not necessarily result in increase fuel consumption because it's not that simple. Go look at the weight difference between the 3400 and 3.4 DOHC; hell look at the size difference (in terms of packaging, the DOHC is much much bigger).

While we're at it we can look at the frictional losses; why do you think DOHC V8's never compare to OHV ones in terms of power, torque and gas mileage. The more valves, lifters, springs and other associated parts you get the higher the frictional losses you find in the engine.

The problem with our motors is that no one had invested any real amount of money in making them any better for practically 2 decades!

Your argument of it being in a minivan is also...unusual given that toyota, honda, nissan (etc etc...) all use the same v6 engines from their cars in their minivans.

Why we're comparing an engine that is bordering on the 3 decade mark to ones that just came out is beyond me..

Back to the point, the death of the pushrod is not because they're necessarily bad engines, it's because we're seeing countries tax based on displacement. As long as there is a tax on displacement the pushrod engine in low performance applications cannot thrive. It doesn't make sense for GM (or any company) to have 2-3 lines of different V6's for 2-3 countries.

Last edited by Mike The Canadian : 10-08-2011 at 09:18 AM.
Mike The Canadian is offline   Reply With Quote