View Single Post
Old 11-22-2009, 07:58 PM   #97
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJack View Post
you guys are killing me. I would have quit long before now.

And Chris, please stick to what you know, LOL.

False. A turbo can be configured in the correct sizes to produce little to no lag. Some are even nearly into boost off-idle.
Superchargers create boost incrementally by RPM's. Although boost is produced (minimally) off-idle, hence no lag.... full boost is usually achieved at redline unless using a centrifugal type, in most cases.

I'm going to have to disagree with some of this.....A centrifugal blower and a turbo have similar exponential boost rise characteristics. Both can be configured to have high boost at low rpm, with boost-limiting controls cutting the boost at upper rpm.

Near-full boost for a Roots or twin-screw is achieved amazingly quickly, but then it also levels off close to its maximum on up to redline (almost as if it had a boost controller in use). But still, the blower has to be size-matched to the engine to get that kick-ass performance we're looking for.

On my best 1/4 mile scans, from a 5% (that's low) throttle position and holding at 1500 rpm (65 MAP), full boost is seen after 1.02 seconds and 3600 rpm. It crosses into boost at 0.5 seconds. That's if I ease out the gas pedal just right. There is a slight increase of 1/2 -1 psi on up to redline, but it's essentially constant.

Now the main reason I take it to 1500 rpm is that I usually get a better reaction time and more consistent runs. Boost rise is just as quick from idle, but it's harder to time the launch.

Last edited by AleroB888 : 11-22-2009 at 09:00 PM.
AleroB888 is offline   Reply With Quote