View Single Post
Old 09-03-2011, 03:55 PM   #3
knowledge8069
GX Member

knowledge8069 is an unknown quantity at this point
Sure, thanks for the reply! The supercharger has been in it for four years. I installed it when there were 70,000 miles on the car, it now has 129,000. The profile for the S/C kit was flashed into the ECU by a GM dealership immediately after it was installed, so the S/C has been functional for quite some time.

Four months ago I replaced the engine with a brand new Goodwrench engine purchased through the dealership. I installed this myself and had it inspected. I followed the break-in procedure exactly. It ran perfectly up until now.

The plastic coil housing has been replaced three times over an 8 year period. It seems like that part is not designed very well.

The catalytic converter in my car plugged at one point, and so the guts were punched out of it. The sensors have never complained and no codes have been thrown because of this. I would have replaced it a long time ago but 7 years of college leaves you broke even after you graduate.

I recently replaced the starter because the old one died. I replaced the belt tensioner at the same time because I had easy access to it with the S/C off. The belt was also replaced with the correct Gatorback version for the S/C kit.

When my car died in traffic, I was doing 65 MPH and suddenly there was no power. Pressing the throttle down did nothing. There were no exits to get off the highway and no shoulder, so I coasted as far as I could until the engine died and it came to a stop. I then got out and pushed the thing up the highway to a shoulder with the car in neutral. This problem, which completely disabled the car (the white plastic coil housing), was instantaneous and had no prior indication anything was failing.

When I first brought my car in, my regular mechanic said he thought the timing chain may have jumped a tooth because it was running so rough. It would not even go into gear, it would die. Because the engine I bought has a 3 year, 100k warranty I towed it from there to the dealership which is where it was fixed 3 days ago. They checked the chain and said the marks lined up. The problem was apparently the coil housing I mentioned earlier, which was replaced. This drastically improved things. It will at least run now, but with this little problem I have stated.

I haven't noticed anything that would lead me to think something degraded and then died. It has never had problems accelerating from a stop. It seems like this new problem might be related to engine RPMs. The car accelerates fine as long as you are already at speed. It is when it drops down to near-idle RPMs that it can be choked by applying any more than the tiniest bit of throttle.

If you have any more questions, let me know.

Last edited by knowledge8069 : 09-03-2011 at 04:43 PM.
knowledge8069 is offline   Reply With Quote