Thread: What to do???
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2014, 11:32 PM   #76
mfuller

So, I picked up my car from the shop about 10 days ago.
I had to repair a few problems I found (none of which was difficult to remedy but still kinda rubbed me the wrong way), but I have been taking a few short trips to gently break the motor in.
I haven't gone much over 3000 rpm, and my throttle applications have been very gentle.
When I finally do get to the point of giving it the beans, I might just be too frightened to do so. If it's anything like the was this thing pulls at low rpm, I'm pretty sure something's going to break in spectacular fashion. Seriously, it's like there are two extra cylinders under the hood. Not kidding.
Here's the details:
The original block was bored 1mm oversize, to fit the custom Diamond Racing pistons. The pistons are 2618 forgings, with coated skirts and SwainTech TBC on the crowns. The pistons swing on modified Scat forged connecting rods, with full-floating pins. The rods use Clevite H-series bearings on the big end, and have custom bronze bushings on the small end. The crank is the factory 3400 cast piece, but balanced and micro polished. The mains were line-honed, but the main caps are attached with factory bolts. The crank snout was turned down to accommodate the TCE double roller timing set. A WOT-TECH Race cam spins in the block, supported by Durabond coated SBC wide cam bearings.
The 3500 LX9 heads have been ported by WOT-TECH, and use Manley stainless steel valves, PAC Racing 1518 nitrided valve springs, and Manley titanium retainers. The heads also received SwainTech TBC on the combustion chambers, valve faces, and exhaust ports. The heads are cinched to the block with factory TTY bolts and sealed with Cometic MLS head gaskets. A ported 3500 LIM matches to a ported 3400 plenum to wrap up the top end. I re-used my 28# Trailblazer injectors and 65mm throttle body. No fender well intake here either, just a K&N panel filter in the factory airbox. On the exhaust side, SwainTech White Lightning-coated MMS headers, a Magnaflow catalytic converter, and a Borla cat-back.
I changed out the Delrin bushings in the transmission mounts for polyurethane. It made a huge difference in the comfort and livability of the car. The F40 6-speed was treated to a Quaife helical limited-slip differential.
The car idles happily at about 750rpm, and pulls away from rest very smoothly with no bucking. This cam has less overlap than my old one, which contributes to the mild manners. The upside (partially due to the calculated 10.85:1 compression ratio) is lots of low end grunt and no perceptible peaks or valleys. But, like I said, I haven't even gotten into it yet.
This is probably one of the more ambitious engine builds, and it took a long time to get to this point. Hopefully, it'll continue to impress me as time goes on.
I'll try to update my impressions over the coming months.