View Single Post
Old 08-07-2008, 01:23 AM   #6
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
Disconect the negitave battery cable and disconect the airbag in the driver side fuse box. Its yellow.

1. Take off the steering column covers. 3 torx screws. I can't remember what size. No. 30 bit?

2. Remove the airbag from steering wheel by taking out the two No. 30 torx from the back of the steering wheel.

3. Pull the airbag away from the steering wheel and unplug the horn wire and airbag connector. The horn wire turn conterclockwise and pull it out. The airbag connector is on the back of the airbag.

4. There should be a mark on the steering wheel and a mark on the steering shaft so you can line everything up when putting the wheel back on. If there aren't any make some.

5. Pull the steering wheel. You may or may not need a steering wheel puller. I did. If you don't own one you can borrow one from autozone.

6. Under the steering wheel is the clockspring. When it is on the steering shaft there are two marks that are lined up, they need to stay that way. The clockspring has a locking device on it so it shouldn't turn with the steering wheel off. Its still a good idea to put a piece of tape across it just incase. There is a snap ring that hold the clockspring in place. It just pulls of the shaft after the snap ring is off.

7. Under the clockspring is the horn ring. Its held in by a snap ring of sorts, its not like the other snap ring. I had to use a 90 degree pick to get this on off. There is a spring that is pushing on the back side of the contact ring so you may need 3 or 4 hands to get the snap ring off. After putting the new contact ring on you have to depress the spring behind the ring, which is the biggest bitch of the whole job

I'm sure I left something out somewhere since I had done this a long time ago. If anyone has anything else to add go for it. Hope this helps you out.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote