View Single Post
Old 01-03-2015, 06:18 PM   #11
That01Olds
GLS member

That01Olds is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
They just started the presonlization in September 2014. I thik they have been getting pressered by people in the SE part of the state to allow it. New Jersey has what's called a "QQ" plate. All Antique plates in New Jersey start with the letters "QQ" and the car must be 20 years old. Pennsylvania has a two tiered system for this. "C" which is Classic and must be at least 15 years old and only gets saftey inspection every year, and "A" (25 years and older) which is antique does not require inspection at all. However Antique cars can only be driven from sunup to sundown. Both are limited to 5,000 miles a year.

If it wasn't for personalization, I would be transfering my old Delta's Classic Tag to the Alero. Classic Tags used to be a white plate with purple letters, and Antique is a purpule plate with white letters. Now the Antique plates look like regular plates with only 2 letters and 2 numbers and have a picture of an old car on it. The Classic tags are effing retarded. They have the same like regular issue plates but a box on the left side of the plate saids "PA CLASSIC VECH" and start with "C" and have 5 numbers, but at least you can personalize them.

Used to be $97.50, now it's $75, plus $50 title change fee, and an extra $100 for personlization, and it never expires

Standard personlizied plates were $20, now $76, and this is only a one time fee

They started a "Vintage" plate program now. If you have an expired plate, from the same year as the car, you can pay $75and have that be your plate. Only good for cars upto 1976 though. I guess they don't want to bring up the bad memories of the "You've got a friend" poor English stuff from the mid 1980's

See, UGLY!!

Yeah we don't have the classic and antique system like you guys do there. It's just antique auto and our rules are a little more strict here than they are there. The engine and body can't have been modified and you're only allowed to drive the vehicle on Saturday and Sunday or to things like club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, and car shows. The antique plates don't expire here too and we don't have a statewide inspection in Tennessee so we don't have to worry about that either.

If I remember correctly I think I've seen pics of the classic tag you're talking about from the Delta and I'd have to agree that compared to that the new one is ugly. It's not a bad design at all for your standard plates, but I definitely understand why you would want some a little more different than that for a classic vehicle plate.

That's a pretty big change in the price for a standard personalized plate though. Even if it is a one time fee. Granted ours isn't that much better and it's an annual fee as opposed to the one time fee. In Tennessee it's $56.50 a year for a personalized plate. In addition to any other fees your county of residence may have. Plus there is a one time $35 application fee as well.

Ah the old You've got a friend in Pennsylvania license plates. Yeah they probably don't want to bring back the memories from those days lol. Almost as bad as the old Kentucky it's that friendly license plates from the early 2000's. Although those were still worse lol.

Nas I've seen a couple of those new Virginia plates driving around post and I must say I like the old Jamestown anniversary ones they used to issue a lot better.
2005 Mazda6 S Wagon 3.0L V6 (MZI) (Sold).
2013 Mazda3 i Touring Sedan 2.0L I4 (Skyactiv-G) (Sold).
2010 Chevrolet HHR LT 2.2L I4 (LE8) (Sold).
1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GX 3.5L Twin Cam V6 (LX5) (Sold).
2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2.4L (LD9) (Sold).
That01Olds is offline   Reply With Quote