View Single Post
Old 01-06-2015, 01:00 AM   #14
That01Olds
GLS member

That01Olds is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
Ahh yeah, the one with the sun. The design itself wasn't as bad colorwise, but that sun really killed it. Of course having bright colors like that probably clashes with some cars (EG: murdered out cars).

I liked those too. The funny thing is that now more people are getting the optional plates and the series progression for the new issue is slower than usual... almost makes you wonder why. I'm also noticing they're issuing them out of order. I've seen the series jump from VCS-XXXX to VEG-XXXX. I have only seen one VDx-XXXX issues, towards the start of that run. I really hope they take the message off at the end of the VZZ-XXXX run. Virginia has a weird thing going on with their plates... they're all over the place serial wise. It jumped from the low Xxx to the Jxx series, stopped midway K to go back to X and stopped in the middle of the W series run to start the stupid va is for lovers Vxx run.

Yeah I agree that the design itself wasn't bad, but like you said the sun really killed it. So much so that I remember seeing on CNN back in 2004 that it was the most hated license plate in the country. A year later Kentucky replaced the "It's that friendly" plates with the current "Unbridled Spirit" ones. We actually had a similar design on the plates here in Tennessee from 2000-2006. However they took a much more simpler approach with ours as you can tell from the pic below. In my opinion this design looked way better than the one Kentucky tried to pull off with theirs.

That is funny that more people are going for the optional plates now instead of the standard ones, but when you look at the new ones you can definitely understand why. I know I would go for an optional plate over those. The numbering system for our license plates has changed twice since I've lived here, but its still always gone in order from where they started issuing a certain format and hasn't jumped around like it has there.

For example with the old plates pictured below they used a AAA-000 format, but when they started issuing the new plates in 2006 they changed to a 000-AAA format. Then when they ran out of the plates with that format they swapped over to the current format, which is A00 00A. The only other thing that changed with this last format swap was the addition of the state tourism website (www.tnvacation.com) at the bottom of our plates right above the county sticker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TN Rising Sun Plate.jpg (48.7 KB, 52 views)
2005 Mazda6 S Wagon 3.0L V6 (MZI) (Sold).
2013 Mazda3 i Touring Sedan 2.0L I4 (Skyactiv-G) (Sold).
2010 Chevrolet HHR LT 2.2L I4 (LE8) (Sold).
1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GX 3.5L Twin Cam V6 (LX5) (Sold).
2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2.4L (LD9) (Sold).
That01Olds is offline   Reply With Quote