View Single Post
Old 01-06-2015, 06:10 PM   #16
Redog
Aleromod part owner

Redog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond reputeRedog has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Redog Send a message via Yahoo to Redog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas Escobar View Post
Ahhh I know what you're talking about too. Here in DC, we call those Virginia F**kboys. Contrary to what it implies, it's just a term for a wanna be, a poser, a wanksta, etc. People don't believe me when I say a river is all that seperates 2 worlds within the same area. DC and MD are vastly different than the "Northern" area of VA (the place close to DC). In fact Central and Southern VA doesn't even like its northern portion. How Ironic is that?

The north and south hate each other? HAHA sounds like NJ, but it's more about tax complaints than anything else. Here in PA Pittsburgh hates Philly, but Philly is only just starting to hate Pittsburgh. Turns out, the entire Commonwealth hates Philly and it's burbs because this is where the bulk of the funding goes. Well, when 2/3 of the state lives in just 5 counties, well its not rocket science

Quote:
Doesn't PA have some odd rule that there can't be certain letters in certain positions? I remember hearing that the 2nd letter in a license plate can't be a vowel, so instead of KAA, the run starts at KBA or something like that. VA cried the same thing about the plates when they went to 4 numbers instead of 3 (AAA 101)... but VA is weird because their license plates don't start at AAA-0001 like DC and MD does. VA starts at AAA-1001. VA and DC don't use Q, and I on the plates, and MD doesn't use Q, U, and I. I never knew why on the U. This whole area has license plates all over the place. I know DC jumps so oddly. They were issuing ER XXXX during the summer but jumped to EU XXXX by years end despite not finishing the series, yet they end up being "backfilled', so you'll see cars with EU XXXX running around but out of nowhere a car with ET XXXX comes out the blue. I'm pretty sure the DMV isn't the only one issuing license plates anymore. I know MD and VA allows car dealers to issue permanent license plates

Maybe back a while ago, but now it's like they cannot use the same three letters on the plate, but only when they went to the new 3 color plate. For example DAA was never used because AAD was used already. When I applied for a Vintage tag, the first three letters were JXT. Well those letters were already used.

Quote:
Was that when they got rid of the blue "you've got a friend" license plate?

No it lasted from 1984ish to about 1987. My Parents bought the Nova in 1988 and it was a regular "Keystone State" on the top and "Pennsylvania" on the bottom. It was axed because it showed "poor Grammer" but again bring up the grammer part, and "You've got a friend in Pennsylvania" would be more like a Philly type dialect, which made the other 62 counties here cry, once again

Quote:

Virginia went to 3 letters/4 numbers in 1993. They didn't bother with another 6 combination run. Maryland went from NZZ-999 to 1AB-A00 in 2006ish. They skip AAA for some reason.

This area doesn't replate so you'll see the older plates running around every now and then. It's much interesting in DC since they had embossed plates up until 2001. Then they went flat.

Hahah, I'm waiting to see what MD is going to do once June comes around. They have a limited edition run of license plates that commemorates the Star Spangled banner's 200th anniversary. It replaced the standard issue across 3 classes but will be reverting to their original design. Maryland issues car, SUV, and truck plates separately instead of plating them in the same series. Trucks get 01x-234, SUVs and Vans get M123456, although the "M" changes position when a run is done. I'm told the truck and van plate are exhausting their combination availabilities and hence why the SSB 200 plates were supposed to be a replate but was changed at the last minute. So that's kinda why I'm interested. MD license plates conflict themselves because of the 6 digit combinations. Right now, MD does a normal run for all classes of private cars (normal cars, trucks, SUVs and Minivans) but reverts back to the different types come June.

I kept my GA plates too.

I like Tennessee's current design, but hate that they went flat. Those flat plates are annoying to read at night or whenever there's glare on them because combination isn't raised.

I do wonder what Tennessee will do when they get to Z99-99Z. I feel that combination style was better off in DC. They went through those plates pretty fast in TN. It usually takes 3 to 4 years to progress a letter in DC. EA-0001 was late 2011 early 2012, and FA-0001 should show up sometime late this year. Perhaps around summer.

Funny, I picked up an "Animal Friendly" TN plate for my son. The picture of the cat and dog on the plate is the cutest I've ever seen IMHO. We have animal freindly plates here, but it looks like a regualr plate, with some weird dog dance on it:

2000 Olds Alero 3400 SFI 14.53 @ 94.93
1985 Olds Delta 88 307 SBO 17.96 @ 76.99
2007 Volvo V50 T5 6M 15.782 @ 89.12
www.facebook.com/kb0177
Redog is offline   Reply With Quote