View Single Post
Old 01-14-2016, 09:04 AM   #2
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Part One

8-10 psi with a 2.2 pulley on an MP62 kit is about right for a stock engine. I have that on my '03 Alero, detailed here:

http://www.aleromod.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36112 .

It is possible to get more boost with a 2.0 or even a 1.9 pulley. That may get you a better track time, but for most people not practical on a daily driver. There is more wear and tear and potential for slippage on the drive belt as well as the pulleys, which are only available in aluminum in smaller diameters. As far as wear on the 'charger for the street, the kit has held up for me with the small pulleys over the years. You will have to be sure of good pulley alignment, and probably replace the belt more often. And you would need alcohol injection or an intercooler to take full advantage of the extra boost at that point.

The MP62 kit is heat sensitive because of it's placement in the engine compartment. It will pick up exhaust manifold/crossover heat, and cooling system fan heat in warm weather. In the Winter, no problem -- the extra heat absorption is a benefit when the car needs to warm up quickly and help atomize fuel. It's a blast driving it in cold, dry weather.

On a hot Summer day, quite different. Your upper intake manifold temps can easily go up to 150 degrees after a hot soak -- even without a supercharger installed. I wouldn't recommend wrapping the headers, but you could design an effective heat shield for them. Redirecting the cooling system fan airflow is another idea, but difficult to pull off. Ironically, if you have the cooling fans come on at a lower temperature, it makes the upper intake manifold (and the supercharger) heat up even faster.
( to be continued )