View Single Post
Old 06-07-2016, 02:14 PM   #6
aroundincircles
GX Member

aroundincircles is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleroB888 View Post
Also check the A/C condenser for flattened cooling fins, obstructions around the air intake, and consider a CAI (cold air intake, or "less hot" in this case).

I don't recommend it for long term, but you can remove the weatherstrip on the front of the hood to get a little more airflow. At least for one day to see if it changes the gauge readings.

Heat soaking in general has been an issue for these cars, because the heat from the fans goes right to the upper intake manifold.

And try to keep the gas tank at least 1/2 full, to help keep the fuel pump cool.

I looked at the radiator/ac/condenser, and there are a few bent fins caused by just where it sits so close to the ground with no protection, but nothing that would make me immediately want to change it.

I'm not a fan of CAI, as the current intake pulls cold air from in front of the driver's side tire, and not from the engine bay. I may look into something less restrictive, but it will still have to pull air from somewhere other than the engine bay.

I never run my tank below 1/4 of a tank. I drive a lot of miles so I fill up regularly. But I have

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroBob View Post
My alero ran that hot for the 7 years i had it. Even after flushing coolant etc. She never actually hit the 3/4 mark but would constantly play just the tip with it in the summer months.

Never caused any problems other than my anxiety.

I have to admit I'm super paranoid about overheating. My 89XJ stranded me after It blew a head gasket, overheated and left me on the side of the road out in the desert very unexpectedly. I just bought this car, and really want it to last me 4-5 more years before I have to think about replacing it.
aroundincircles is offline   Reply With Quote