View Single Post
Old 07-19-2004, 01:27 PM   #1
slalomking
GX Member

slalomking is an unknown quantity at this point
Well, my baby, a loaded ruby red '03 GL1 w/ Ectotec/auto, got treaked in the nose by a clown posing as an 18 year old male driver. Took off everything forward of the radiator. Thank goodness all were OK and the Alero is repairable.

I got an '04 Malibu w/ 700 miles on it as a rental car while the Alero is being repaired. Engine is an Ecotec rated at 145 HP @5600 RPM w/ 155 ft-lbs torque at 4000 RPM. I ASSUME the extra 5 HP is due to straighter plumbing in the roomier Malibu.

All I wanna say is that the Malibu, while a lager car, feels a hell of a lot lighter, and the acceleration AND gas milage are, in my mind, a lot better- By comparison, my Alero feels like a slug and gets a consistant measely 21.5 mpg in suburban driving. This is consistant w/ the MPGs see in:

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/rev...ex.cfm/id/23309

I'm willing to guess the MPGs on the Malibu were in the high 20s, easy. And as I said, feels a lot faster to boot.

Curb weight Malibu around-3174
Curb weight GL1 Alero 4 door-3021

Alero Tranny- 4T40-E
Malibu Tranny- 4T45-E

All I can say is what the hell?...Wish I had the equipment know how to swap the drivetrains, but the Malibu setup probably would not fit in the Alero...damn...

Any comments or similar experiences welcome.