View Single Post
Old 07-21-2004, 10:46 AM   #6
slalomking
GX Member

slalomking is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks for your thoughts guys. I think tranny guru's comment on the final drive is noteworthy. The Ectotec Alero EPA MPGs are 24/33 and I NEVER see those numbers- I'm WAY below.

I't would be interesting to do timed 0-60 runs on these cars- I think it's more than perception.

The Malibu does have more sound coming into the cabin, but I would like to think I'm savvy enuff to ignore that, and focus on how fast am I actully moving from A to B.

My guess is we are looking at a combo of final drive ratios, better breathing, and perhaps tranny shift calibrations that move the Malibu faster throughout the RPM range. I noticed the air box placement on the Malibu is on the passenger side, somewhat in front of and to the side of the engine and the box was quite large- there was a lot of room forward of the engine that does not exist in the Alero.

The bottom line that concerns us is Alero applications of all this, and my guess is that it would be prohibitively expensive, involving either bucks or in depth DIY tranny work experience.