View Single Post
Old 11-10-2007, 01:55 PM   #2
BlackJack
Jack-Wagon

BlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond reputeBlackJack has a reputation beyond repute
** The actual answer **
To date, it is unknown if the factory style 4t45e can handle the power you're talking about with the upgrades that are currently on the market. The fastest 1/4 mile time on record for the 4t45e is currently in the low 12's, and still having issues. What's involved in the current 4t45e transmission setups (which is still too weak in my opinion) is merely a new set of Raybestos clutches/hardened steels, billet accumulator pistons, LSD, and performance torque converter that I know of. You can always send out internal parts for cryo-treatment, but I seriously don't know how far that will take you.

_____

If you're seriously wanting to put that much power to your transmission, I recommend either swapping to a 5-speed manual, or swapping in a 4t65e-HD that is fully built from a company like ZZPerformance. Currently they have their own car running low 9's in the 1/4 on this transmission with a TT 3800 engine.

Cost for them to build you a transmission unit to handle the power you are asking about is going to be around $4,000.

This will include hardened input/output shafts as well as oil pump shaft, Raybestos clutches, hardened steels, a 1" single chain drive with gears, hardened 2nd, reworked valve body, billet accumulator pistons, solenoids, LSD, and some proprietary work such as an oil squirter for the LSD, etc.

Install - $1,500 - or more - You'll need to have custom mounts fabricated, Also, the axles and hubs from the GTP will be needed as well. You'll have to get custom hub spacers machined because the axles are longer than the Alero's. Computer AND wiring harness will have to be changed out for one that came factory with the 4t65/3400 combination (like the base model Impala). If you don't want to go through all that work, you can wait for the "4t65 swap kit" that will soon be produced at Milzy Motorsports (MMS) and I have no idea how much that's going to cost.

Other miscellanous things you'll need is having the axles/CV's hardened, or you'll shatter the bearing cage, and/or twist the axles. You can get hardened axle setups through several companies out there.

Light weight rotary forged wheels are recommended because you seriously need to reduce "unsprung weight" to keep from putting too much torque stress to the rest of your drive train. $1,000-$3,000

Drag radials - unless you want to play "sit-and-spin". $500-600

________

9 times out of 10, someone hears about something cool they can throw under their hood to make it go fast, but have no idea what all is involved in making the kind of power they're thinking of initially without breaking lots of shit.

Personally, I wouldn't go through all that unless you're either going to go full race with your car, or else you're hell-bent to break all the current N-body records out there.

If you just want streetable horsepower, I would just go with either 12psi turbo kit, OR the 100-shot NOS, but not BOTH, unless you just have an insane amount of money to spend.

Either way, good luck, and I hope all that long-winded banter answered your questions in the end.

----Remember, opinions are going to vary from person to person on what you can get away with as a minimum, but what I tell you is based on what I recommend for continuous use, and then there's still a strong chance for breakage somewhere along the way. There's no point in telling you what will hold up for a few runs, and then break a couple thousand miles later. Better to suck it up and make sure everything will hold together the first time.

If anyone else has thought of something that I left out, please chime in. I was in a rush to get to other things I'm working on.

Now let the arguments fly.

-BlackJack-

BlackJack is offline   Reply With Quote