View Single Post
Old 05-16-2009, 11:09 PM   #1
PappaSmurf
GLS member

PappaSmurf is on a distinguished road
T-10 Inverted LED lit gauge cluster

First you have to order the T-10 Inverted LEDs. I bought mine from keyrazyleds.com.

Once you obtain them then do the following to the "T" and there will be no mistakes and/or questions, (unless you are aleroracing).

First remove these two screws with a 7mm socket (all of the screws that need to be removed are with a 7mm socket):

Then unclip the trip-ometer thingy:

Remove the following four screws:

At this time, reach in with both hands and grab a hold of your gauge cluster, and pull it on towards you, and then unclip the following:

After removing the clip you should have your cluster in your hands. Flip it on its front to where the back is facing you. Remove the black cover by unclipping the holders that are in place:

Look for the FIVE big lights and twist them to where you are able to pull them out. They are located by the red arrows:

You should then remove the original bulb and its "legs" if possible. I used a pocket knife and scraped the legs off the sides of the holder before trying to pull the bulb out. The bent legs are soldered in place. HINT HINT.

This is a shot of a T-10 inverted cone LED. Take the "legs" of the LED and straighten them out. DO NOT REMOVE them!

This is what your LED should look like when you straightened your "legs." NO DIRTY THOUGHTS!!!!

Put the straightened leg LED back through the original bulb holder and bend then "legs" as to look like the original bulb.

Take a pair of needle nose pliers and smoosh the "legs" down to the sides of the tabs to make the contact once installed on the electrical board.

Replace the bulbs into their holes on the electrical board and reconnect the BIG clip to the gauge cluster. DO NOT RE-INSTALL THE GAUGE CLUSTER!!! You are only doing this to make sure that the bulbs are working. I found it easier to do one bulb at a time. You might have a different method that works for you, Great. If one of the lights does not light up, simply remove it and turn it around (180 degrees) and then put it back in and see if it works. As with most LEDs, (and some people I wish I didn't know) these are what I refer to as Bi-polar. If they dont work one way, turn them around and they work perfectly.

Once you are satisfied now that all of your lights work, reinstall everything using the reverse method of taking things off.

Then sit back and enjoy the new glow of your gauge cluster with LEDs.

I would like to thank Cherryington as he was the most helpful (and doubtful of the T-10 LEDs) as to what to do and the Idea behind me modding my gauge cluster with NO HOTSPOTS!!!
-Smurf-
PappaSmurf is offline   Reply With Quote