View Single Post
Old 11-17-2023, 12:25 PM   #342
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Shit.

They say my differential is broken. That's why the driver axle is stuck in the trans.

Guess the transmission shop I paid $1,000 to install my $780 LSD didn't do it right. The transmission looked mint inside, had 200 miles on it, and the LSD was a brand new Quaife unit. I even dropped off the factory service manual for this particular transmission because it has all the specs and preload settings etc. but they were like "we probably don't need that" which was a bit of a red flag but I got the implication that they already have the specs/info needed on hand. I know it's supposed to be installed a certain way and requires specialized tools to do it right. There's some kind of preload on the bearings and such you need to have perfect.

I also was hearing what seemed like excessive gear noise when coasting/light throttle lately. Bet it was noise from the output shaft/differential. I saw a forum thread about the same kind of symptom I experienced and the comments were "Sounds like your shop screwed up the pinion preload."

So now what? Install my other 145,000 mile transmission? No LSD sucks. I never even got to utilize it to its potential, no burnouts, no twisty mountain driving.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote