View Single Post
Old 06-03-2004, 02:02 PM   #9
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

Daytona is on a distinguished road
Okay... here's my take on why that was a very meaningful run:

Brian is currently 1st in Points and I started the day 8 points behind him in 2nd place. The last thing I needed was for him to extend his lead, especially since they canceled one of our upcoming races in August to hold a Vans concert at the track.

Ken's RT's were, as you can see, not exactly setting the world on fire. I talked him through the steps and he was then able to really hit a great light. Brian saw Ken's 3-digit Tech-supplied car # (a hint that the driver is a relative newbie at racing) and figured Ken to be an easy mark. Therefore he went a little easier on the lights than he normally would, only to discover that Ken wasn't such an easy target afterall.

Unfortunately, Ken forgot to launch the car at the same RPM as he did through time trials and that resulted in him not "running the #". His car is consistent enough that if he had launched the car correctly he could very well have won due to the large RT margin off the line. Practically half of the other racers in the class were rooting for Ken because w're all behind Brian in the Points and could have used his early exit to our advantage. It also would have changed the elimination ladder, too, as the ladder pairs up cars based on Reaction Time.

Brian went on to lose in the 3rd round and I went out in the 2nd as my car inexplicably fell off by almost a full tenth against someone I should have otherwise beaten (I had never lost to him yet until Sunday). While I retained 2nd place in the standings, Brian is now 9 points ahead. That's a pretty hefty lead with only 7 races left. My next shot at closing the gap will be this Sunday. I'll get a little practice in this Saturday night as I'll be competing, by invitation of the track, during the "29th Annual Snap-On Night of Thrills". The top 8 in points in each class will compete in mini eliminators between rounds of all of the show cars to minimize down-time. Hopefully I can translate success on Saturday night into greater success Sunday afternoon.
Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote