View Single Post
Old 09-08-2010, 10:04 PM   #6
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfuller View Post
Be careful with the Cometic gaskets. Not only must the head be flat, but the head surface and also the block surface needs to be prepped properly; 50RA or better on the surfaces.
It said 80RA somewhere for this application, but I'll double check the numbers before I have them smooth it up. I'm sure D&S knows what to prep it to.
Edit: Cometic states right on their website a maximum of 50RA is recommended for proper sealing, and I found references to that number on j-body.org. Cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleroB888 View Post
It's called research and development, and he's pushing the build to the limit so it can be improved upon. In case you didn't notice, he's taking steps to make it reliable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
and THIS is the primary reason I won't touch engine mods. the car spends as much time, down, as it does up.

not worth the money/effort, if its not reliable.
Nah it's called I was in a hurry the first time and didn't want to wait to order a gasket. I expected this to happen. Also the car is only down for a week usually when something like this happens, and this is the only time this year. My car is VERY reliable, except for the head gasket. So this time I'm ensuring it is perfect. The rest of the engine always was built and perfectly fine to handle anything, but the gasket is something I cheaped out on, not realizing how easily composite/graphite gaskets blow out with high boost/combustion pressures. Once the Cometic is on and the head is clamped down at 90 lb-ft.. it will never leak again and I'll go back to boosting.
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote