View Single Post
Old 10-06-2006, 03:23 PM   #1
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
Led Backlit Headlights

This is a How To for giving your headlights a LED Backlighting. DO NOT do this, and wire the LEDs in permanently, I'm almost positive this is illegal in most states.

Difficulty: Easy-Moderate. If you have no idea how to wire LEDs it would be of Moderate difficultly, if you do, this will be very easy.

Time
: It took me 4hrs to complete. I also did not know what I was doing, or what look I wanted, so it had more "tinkering" time involved.

Tools: Soldering gun, wire crimper/stripper, Silicone gel, and hot glue (optional)

The first few steps are simple enough. Follow the same steps you would for clearing your headlights. Remove assembly, cook for a few mintues, take lens off... if you can't do that, then you can't do this project.

Ok.
Step One: Prepare the LEDs. Sand the tips down so they are flat. This helps them project in a much wider fashion, giving less pinpoint light.
Step Two: Bend the LEDs so the leads off the back will give them an anchor point on the chrome reflector. [Image 1]
Step Three: Place the LEDs on the reflector. You could put one in each corner, one in all 4 corners, one in the center... use your imagination and keep it looking clean. I opted for 2 LEDs in the center, pointing slightly away from each other. Also, I found it much better to mount them on the TOP of the assembly, so they won't as noticeable. I also put a very small spot of hot glue on the bottoms of the LEDs as well as the wires underneath, just to hold them in place. [Image 2]
Step Four: Solder your connecting wires onto the leads on the LEDs. Test the connections, to make sure they are correct, and the LEDs work properly.
Step Five: Run the wires underneath the reflector, to the back of the assembly. They should be long enough to reach just outside the black rubber bulb housing on the back. [Image 3]
Step Six: Put quick disconnects on the wires, incase you need to remove the headlight assembly later.
Step Seven: Reassemble your headlights.
Step Eight: Run the POWER wire in threw the firewall to the cabin, and connect it to a switch. Don't bother running the ground all the way in, just use one of the many grounds on the front of your car.
Step Nine: Hide all the wiring and make sure the connections are solid. You don't want the wires to be flopping around your engine.
Step Ten: Clean up.