Thread: Short Tracing
View Single Post
Old 06-26-2008, 07:56 AM   #36
lonnie
I drive a JEEP!

lonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond reputelonnie has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrington17 View Post
I had them all connected to that. they aren't anymore.

soo.... where exactly does this change to brown? at the dimmer, that i haven't found yet?

it goes from the center console, up to the T wire bundle back/above the radio. Then goes over to the passanger side fuse box? The dimmer module is on the driver's side though?? (i only know of the dimmer switch) unless there are more of them hanging around that i don't know about.... OR unless the dimming/trasistors is controlled by the BCM control box under the glovebox....

and its quite possible that i burned up that transistor w/ the high power draw it had for that brief period of time. so just where would i find this illusive transistor/dimmer??

also, i thought this was odd. At most, i have, at the most, 20 leds lighting up the interior (5 gauge, 3 in each door, 1 driver vent, 2 passanger vent, 4 center vent, 2 switch panel) now, at 0.020A each, that works out to be not even 1A... but, when i put the new fuse tap in, i put a 5A in (thinking it was total overkill) and it blew it immediately. wtf is going on there? i still can't wrap my brain around that one.
Yeah Cherry I can't help you on that. I don't know the physical location, but like I said I'm reading the light schematic for a 2000. Now the transition to brown is from the fuse block on the passenger side to the auto park lamp relay in the underhood fuse block. I know this path is different in different years. It also shows that a brown runs from the passenger side fuse block to the sound system...whatever that means, but electrically it is the same as the brown that runs to the auto park relay. Dumb question here but are you using LED's with the resistors already built in? I don't know which ones you are using but some LED's have the potential to draw 40milliamps a piece, so with 20 that works out to be about .6 of an amp hypothetically. So if we think about this if you are tapping another circuit and it blows its probably because with the added load it is drawing to much current. So it depends on where you are tapping plus what is on this tap is it just the LED's or the LED's plus the regular lights? If it is just the LED's then you should be fine tapping off of and existing circuit, but if you are tapping all the lights in the car to another circuit then your going to have to fuse bigger. I didn't think about this before but have you checked all the bulbs to make sure you don't have a bulb that isn't shorted which is a simple problem but is also possible to short the whole system out.