View Single Post
Old 04-06-2005, 07:31 PM   #54
ShortysTRM

Each 194 bulb has its leads soldered into the socket they are in. The sockets are easy to take out and mess with, so if you break the leads on the 194 incandescent bulbs and straighten out the leads on a 194 and insert them into the socket so that the wires can be soldered into the same location as the stock ones, they are a direct replacement. The soldering is not necessary, but I would advise it. I didn't solder April's and we have had to take them out and fix them a couple times. We have the 6 led bulb 194's from superbrightleds.com, but I don't know if I would recommend them. They are bright, but they are very focused and they don't seem to be very reliable. See if ledtronics.com has 194's. We bought white LED's and it ended up light blue with white needles. I don't think red would shine through the blue light filter in the gauges. The lens is blue, but when the stock yellowish bulbs shine though, it produces a faded green. There are 5 bulbs, I believe, and if you already have "halo" gauges and you want different needles, you'll either have to buy the intelliglow needle kit, which is likely what bjensen83 was talking about, or just buy different bulbs for the gauges. Since you have EL guages already, the light shouldn't shine through anything but the needles.