View Single Post
Old 02-21-2016, 01:21 PM   #1
IbnAlfreak
GX Member

IbnAlfreak is on a distinguished road
A Rant on Fuel Filters

Well...

I attempted for 3 hours to change my fuel filter today. It hasn't been changed in 185k miles and desperately needs a new one. My car was idling rough, like it needs a little more gas, stalled out for the first time the other day, so I figured I'd start troubleshooting by changing the filter (a $13 piece). After watching a ton of YouTube videos featuring your typical GM quick release I figured the filter swap would be a breeze. Nope.

I did everything correctly, I got the flange nut off and moved onto the quick release portion. That's where the problems began. Apparently there is a black plastic quick release "tool" already installed. This puzzled me so I searched the internet and found that all you had to do was squeeze it and pull the filter out. After much trying, the plastic piece finally disintegrated, leaving me with no way to remove the filter no matter how much I pulled, twisted, and pushed the remaining bit of that plastic tab into the housing.
I even tried using a quick release tool to no avail.

I just wonder why it's so hard is it for GM to use the basic quick release filter like everyone else. I'm done trying to change this.
IbnAlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote