Old 01-17-2015, 02:56 AM   #2
_HeC_
GX Member

_HeC_ is on a distinguished road
WIRING
99-01 will be this to get the starter going
Quote:
Originally Posted by timka86 View Post
The automatic transmission position switch has two plugs, this is the switch that sits on top of the shifter level on the trans.(don't have a picture of it right now)

Connector C1

and C2

On connector C1, cut and splice together the purple and yellow wires (they are the two fattest wires), G & E to allow the starter to crank..
if you have a 02+ it will still be G&E HOWEVER colors won't match that diagram, G(purple) was my 12volts with key turned and E(purple/white line) goes to the starter relay, can hook those up together to get the starter to crank or hook them up to your clutch pedal to work like a normal 5spd vehicle
02+ starter diagram

Reverse light wires are F/B on C1 connector

MISC
you MAY have to do more wiring if you don't have your PCM tuned already, I found this from the 6spd swap thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by timka86 View Post
EDIT: CHANGED 5-17-08, originally i made the PCM think it's in drive. after trial and error, I have come to the conclusion that putting the transmission into neutral is the best option.
and finally to make the PCM think it's in NEUTRAL, Connector C2, that's the 4 wire connector, has a WHITE, YELLOW, GRAY, and BLACK/WHITE wires.

the way it works, is that these wires, in various combinations, ground to let the PCM know in what position the automatic transmission shifter is in. That ground wire is a BLACK/WHITE wire on the other connector, C1 (6 wire connector) CAUTION: There are two BLACK/WHITE wires.

The combination for neutral is connecting the the YELLOW and WHITE wires from C2 to the BLACK/WHITE wire from C1.

the rest of the wirse just insulate and wrap them up so they're not in the way. I left the front trans connector hanging, it didn't require any mods, so far no issues.

Also works to put the car in park, cuz technically that puts the PCM thinking it's in neutral as well, only difference is that the rev limiter in park works when the car is moving or standing still.

But when in neutral the rev limiter only works only when the car is standing still.
for me I had a tune ready to go and had my PCM flashed with HPT and never did anything else

make sure you buy NEW flywheel/pressure plate bolts, do NOT even attempt to use the automatic bolts as they are a different length
pressure plate #11508687
flywheel #ZX200

obviously don't buy a clutch for a stock 2.2 J-body lol I went with a ebay stage 3 6puck clutch with no issues so far

flywheel can actually come from any FWD 88-02 2.2/2.8/3.1 and if my research is correct same goes for a clutch so that should open up a lot of options but I stuck with the 00-02 J-body one just to play it safe first time around lol 86-87 fylwheels might be the same as well but not 100% on that

when mounting the clutch pedal I found it easier to take the pushrod off the pedal and wait to install that AFTER the pedal itself is installed in the car, insert the rod through the hole in the firewall that you drilled and snap into the clutch pedal

4cyl/5spd subframe is NOT needed but makes it slightly easier, only difference between it and the V6 frame is the mount on the drivers side for the transmission which would be rather easy to make if you can't find a frame

I did my 5spd swap for next to nothing, purchased a 5spd N-body for $350 and sold engine, trans, rims, body for scrap etc and got my $350 back plus at least another $300 to put towards my clutch/flywheel/trans

writing this up rather late so hopefully I didn't miss anything but any questions ask away and if you need more pics very good chance I already have them and never posted lol now lets see more V6 5speed swaps happening!!!