View Single Post
Old 04-21-2012, 01:40 PM   #16
a.graham52
Premier V.I.P. Member

a.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond reputea.graham52 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via MSN to a.graham52
alright guys so i dug into my current abs light, sorry for the MASSIVE pictures, i cant get them to re-size for some reason.
the lights are on solid every time the ignition is on so i know i have a "hard" fault. i check the abs DTCs with our Tech II and heres what i have for current

history codes:

the typical signs of a loose hub/bad wire/sensor : sensor variation, open or shorted, signal = 0. good idication your going to need to look at sensors and hubs when you have all three codes show up.

obvously i have a problem with the left front wheel this time. prevously it was an issue with the right front.

i lifted the vehicle (view pictures from first post to see how i lifted my car) and checked the front end for play (once again see pics from first post). still no play in the front end.

got under the car and this is what i found when i inspected the wheel speed sensor:

in my first post i mentioned how a lot of times the harness comes undone at the knuckle and rubs on the cv shaft.. well ta-da! if you look close you can see the problem in that pic right there... in this case it hasnt had a chance to rub on the cv shaft yet but still bad enough.

what had happend is once the connector came unclipped from the knuckle the harness got caught up in the ball joint and broke one of the wires with all that movement:

mind you the correct repair would be to replace the hub. i really really dont wnat to spend the money so im going to booger it together. i rummaged through our scrap pile and found an old hub off of an '06 silverado and a hub off of problably a newer impalla??? and stole the harnesses:

the long harness is off of the silverado. i want a new connector and a short lead of wires for my repair. the silverado harness will work in a pinch but needs to be modified (see secound photo)

the connector from the silverado (upper connector in pic) has a center "devider" in the connector and thats the main thing stopping you from using it as a donor. i have been able to make them work in the past (for test equipment) but it usually makes a mess of the connector.

i went and took the impalla harness and stipped the wires and splice on HEAT SHRINK butt splices:

i then cut off the remaining connector on my car and heres a pic with the old connector (white) and the silverado connector (black):

removed the retainer and set aside for now:

removed the sheith from the hub harness and spliced the wires. cut an inch off the sheeth and slid it back on:

one wire (the one that was broken) has already turned black. sign of water intrusion. im not replacing the hub so its going ot have to work.

spliced both wires together and shrunk the splices

installed the factory retainer and installed on knuckle. the harness is a little long but what more do you want? saved me 60 bucks lol