View Single Post
Old 12-16-2003, 02:24 PM   #2
Final-Reality

Naturally aspirated 4-cylinders don't high make HP, good streetable engines (Unless ~200-250HP is high for you).

But if for some reason money was no object, I'd get the ported 2.4 head from I.D as well as their intake, bore the block out as much as possible, probably .040" or .060" if it sonic checks ok.

Manta has a "2.5L Billet crank" for the 2.3L block, I'd probably try to machine the journals for the 2.4 block, if that wasnt possible, a custom lightweight stroker billet crank from SCAT or somebody would be in order, there's still no replacement for displacement... titanium connecting rods as well to keep the rotating mass down, and 11.5:1 or so lightweight forged pistons, with total seal gapless rings, whatever compression you figure I can get away with on crappy canadian 91 octane premium fuel.

Also the 3-stage dry sump oiling system from manta, since that allows high RPMs and high cornering G's..

Other parts include a lightweight aluminum flywheel, a 65MM TB, and manta parts' "competition" camshafts and their higher quality hydraulic followers, since no cam blanks seem to be available for the 2.4, those should be plentty aggressive and put the torque curve peak somewhere over 6000RPMs, coupled with all the other lightweight parts and high compression, should make for quite a rev-happy engine with a power peak around 7500RPMs, and a shift point around 8000RPMs

This would have to run off something like a TEC2 or TEC3, BTW...

But with the added displacement (somewhere between 2.5 and 2.6L) and the power band way up in the 7000RPM range, it'd definately be up in the 250+HP range, but a very rough and harsh engine, and and no power below like 2500-3000RPMs