Thread: Coolant leak
View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
The replacement water outlet tends to fail too. I made a custom aluminum one that uses the entire surface on the head as a sealing surface instead of just a crappy o-ring.

But more than likely, your leak is coming from the plastic "quick-connect" behind the engine where a metal pipe from the water pump connects to a hose going to your heater core. That plastic piece can be broken, and you can put a new hose right over the metal pipe and hose clamp it.

Or lower hose, upper hose.

Or the metal bleeder pipe going into the side of the water outlet with its tiny little o-ring that fails.

Otherwise, possible head gasket. My oil looked fine and exhaust wasn't smokey either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellfire5670 View Post
Leaking intake manifold?
Umm.. the intake manifold holds air, not coolant.
Quote:
Your thermostat is stuck open?
Thermostat controls when fluid flows internally through the system, it doesn't play a part in external leaks (that I've ever seen).
Quote:
Head gasket?
Not likely unless there's overheating issues as well.

Also the coolant cap might be bad. (or tank cracked).
[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote