View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 05:09 PM   #25
zearchyo
GL Member

zearchyo is on a distinguished road
" The alternator is connected to the engine by a belt and generates electricity to recharge the battery. The battery makes 12-volt power available to everything in the car needing electricity (the ignition system, radio, headlights, windshield wipers, power windows and seats, computers, etc.) through the vehicle's wiring." Quote from howstuffworks.com

credit to sleepyalero for pointing this out.

" When an alternator begins to fail, or fails outright, the car's battery begins to take up the slack rather than acting as a capacitor for the system by receiving a constant infusion of electrical power from the alternator. Car batteries are not designed for long-term power use. They're designed to provide the vehicle with enough electrical oomph to start by juicing the starter motor with a surge of power and getting the whole works spinning." Quote from howstuffworks.com

" Diagnosing a dead battery versus a dead alternator is relatively easy. Simply jump-start the car and then remove the cables as quickly as possible. Then wait. If the alternator is failing to charge the system, the car will soon die again and the problem has been pinpointed. If the car runs and continues to run, then it's likely the problem is with the battery." Quote from howstuffworks.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.graham52 View Post
Do not do this! It's a spectacular way to kill computers!

I have not thing against a.graham52, just to make it clear. I simply had to redeem my name and my good word, thats all.

Just another way to say, what I had previously said. So i guess its okay to test for faulty alternators like this in a DIY fashion

Can this be my first sticky then?

yeah right!

Last edited by zearchyo : 08-27-2012 at 06:07 PM.
zearchyo is offline   Reply With Quote