View Single Post
Old 05-27-2012, 01:27 AM   #1
rustyballs_69
Its Beer Thirty

rustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond reputerustyballs_69 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to rustyballs_69
How to: Cabin air filter

This is how I did it. If you want to add to or have an idea to improve just post it.

Here we go.
Things needed:
10mm socket
14mm socket
ratchet
cabin air filter-I used caf1807p. $10 at autozone
razor blade
1/4 in foam poster board, found at walmart
black sharpie.

First off start by opening the hood. Pull the plastic caps off the nuts that hold the wiper arms on. Take your 14mm socket and ratch and take the nuts off. Pull the wiper arms off, may take a little force. Just set the arms on the motor. Pull the 5 push tabs out that hold the cowl on and remove the cowl. Should look something like this.

Then pull the the 3 10mm nuts off this plastic shroud. Its glued on there pretty damn good so be carefull not to break it.

Now you can put the plastic shroud on your foam poster board and trace it inside and out. Cut it out with your razor blade. Doesn't have to be perfect.

Now take your cabin air filter and cut the sides off the filter.

If you use the same filter that I used you probably have enough material to make 3 filters.

Take you filter media and put it over the foam poster board you cut out. I stapled the filter to the cut out and trimmed the edges. You can use glue if you want. That was what I tryed first but after glueing myself to myself a few times I just stapled it.

Now you can take your filter and put it on the car.

And put the plastic shroud back on and tighen the 3 10mm nuts down.

Now put the cowl back on and the wiper arms and your done. I first did this a while back because I was getting so much dust on my dash. Its not perfect but it works. The only problem I ran into is the filter can get wet. Here is the first filter I made. You can see where it got wet.

My next plan is to somehow cover the plastic shroud so water can't get on the filter but still let the air in.
rustyballs_69 is offline   Reply With Quote