Thread: Six speed swap?
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2014, 04:33 AM   #4
sleepyalero
GLS member

sleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond reputesleepyalero has a reputation beyond repute
You need ALL trans parts from a 07-08 G6 6 speed.

- F40 trans
- shifter
- 5 speed alero shift bezel
- tuning is required
- dual mass clutch
- flywheel
- shift cables
- clutch pedal
- custom tranmission mounts
- driver side mount you have to cut out a section in the body of the car and weld in a g6 transmission mount in place.
- g6 axles. Driver side axle has to be shortened 1/4 inch. If you dont if can make shifting a bit harder to get in gears, and puts stress on the differential.
- other misc. Things.

Many people ask these questions but dont tackle the job. I would have done the swap my self. But I am not a welder. And for something that important that needs to be able to take torque and power, so it doesnt rip off the car, I had milzy handle it. Im not about to teach myself how to weld on something so crucial for this swap.

Milzy offers all parts for the swap plus his custom trans mounts for it for about 3900$..... thats just parts. All parts for the swap (minus the custom mounts) are all BRAND NEW from GM, with 0 miles on the parts. Thats trans and everything. So for about 3900 you have brand new parts. And the install fee is about 1300 or so. Idk how much he charges now, he raised the price after he did my car and Mfullers car. I gave a guess on hiw much now, it was cheaper when I did it (but not by a whole lot)

So depending how you do this.... it can cost you upwards of about 5500$.

There is only 3 of us here with 6 speed v6 aleros. I think we will be the only 3 for a long time.

The 5 speed swap is just as complicated. I have a 3400 5 speed swap alero in my garage right now in progress. its not so fun.... its a Pain in the ass really.

Just a few things to keep in mind on the 6 speed.

- the clutch rattles, alot (it could be less noisy depending on your bushing choice. I have delrin bushings which is MUCH stiffer then polyurethane bushings. But those are your only two options. Poly or delrin, delrin is very strong but sends all vibrations to the inside of the car... things tend to make rattle sounds. But I dont really mind it. But some days it can be annoying.

- the transmission is VERY noisy

- it is also very clunky, even going into gear it will sound like its grinding, but its really not.

The transmissions are VERY noisy. Thats just how they are. All the noises they make are completely normal. But if you wont like the sounds, thats one thing to keep you away from it.

But its fun, and wakes the car up quite a bit.
Oldsnut is my Hero!
Meet Destiny, shes a 2001 Oldsmobile Alero GLS, F40 6MT swap. (#2 of 3)
2/24/14 - 200,000 miles body/motor. 22,300 on F40.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldsnut View Post
He would Plasti Dip his pecker if he could.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tipnitty View Post
A girl touched my Pee Pee. So you can say things are getting pretty serious for me.

Last edited by sleepyalero : 08-05-2014 at 04:40 AM.
sleepyalero is offline   Reply With Quote