View Single Post
Old 01-09-2005, 06:57 PM   #29
mike2002
GLS member

mike2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via Yahoo to mike2002
id like to add somthing to the how to, also, maybe the admins or mods could erase some of the garbage up above......

When you take your strut assembly apart, inside the strut "boot" there is a white rubber spacer, id guess about 2-2.5" tall. remove this from the strut boot. this is your strut bumper. take a hacksaw, or somthing, and cut it at the first indent from the bottom. this should make the bumper about 1/2" shorter than it was before. then re-install it. do this when installing drop springs like springtech/intrax or anyspring that drops it 1.5" or more. when disassembling my springtech/kyb combo, i noticed my bumper had hit the bottom of the strut a few times. this is because the strut is more compressed to begin with, and can bottom out because of this, cutting this bumber gives the strut more "play" before it bottoms out.

also, and this is BIG. it seems that some kyb's do not come with a nut thats as tall as the stock strut. because of this, the kyb nut will not hold the mount to the strut. it seems newer mounts have a 1/2" spacer to compensate for this, some do, some dont. make sure if installing kyb struts, you either have that 1/2" spacer on top of your mount, or you get some washers and put them below your top nut, you can and WILL ruin your strut mounts without it. i didn't have that spacer, and ruined my strut mounts.