Thread: Bad E Brake?
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2006, 09:22 PM   #16
NY.ALERO

Quote:
Originally posted by turtles_ride@Oct 10 2005, 07:36 PM
i'll explain it as best as i can. first of all our rear brakes are a combination of the disk on the outside (with a caliper that squeezes against it for our regular brakes) and the ebrake works on the inside of the drum that the disk is attached to. So to get at the ebrake pads you have to take off the rear caliper assembly by undoing the 2 bolts and putting it aside. Once its off you have to pull off the rear disk/drum, you should be able to wiggle it off, if you can't you'll have to hit the centre drum part with a hammer to loosen it, it may be rusted a bit (don't hit the disk part you may warp it. When you pull it off, you'll see the ebrake pads and the little adjuster nut in the center. If your pads look worn you'll have to replace them, if they're not that bad, try turning the nut by pushing on the grooves with a screwdriver to make them hit the drum sooner when you pull your ebake lever. Put the drum/disk rear thing back on and make sure that it still spins without too much rubbing, put everything back together and check to see if they work any better. thats what i did, i'll post a pic in the thread
Good explanation and photo, helps resolve my problem.