View Single Post
Old 03-03-2010, 07:11 AM   #6
Daytona
ALEROMOD RAPIST

Daytona is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyhunter View Post
I've always had a soft spot for heads up, and never enjoyed bracket racing.
That's fine, I like pro-level H-U racing, too. Though bracket racing is infinitely tougher to do and be good at.

Below the pro level, money is more important than skills for heads-up racing. If you spend a ton more money than anyone else in your class, you're going to beat everyone heads-up. What fun is that for anybody?

In bracket racing, the cost of your set-up is comparatively meaningless next to the skills of the driver.

My 1993 Daytona is a 100% bone-stock car with almost 180,000 miles on the original 3-liter V-6 engine and runs in the high-16's most days. Besides the cost of gas and oil changes, it costs me almost nothing to maintain. Bracket racing that car in 2003, I finished 2 points shy of my 2nd Track Points Championship and have been competitive most other years in it. And I've beaten $40,000 cars, $10,000 set-ups, bone stock cars, and pieced-together crap barely worth $500. Why? Becuase bracket racing levels the playing field and my driving skills trump most people's money-spending skills.
Daytona is offline   Reply With Quote