View Single Post
Old 12-06-2011, 09:59 AM   #7
zzyzzx
GLS member

zzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond reputezzyzzx has a reputation beyond repute
a.graham52's email describes exactly how to fix it and why it is such a PIA to fix. I really hate this code. That and if it works anything like the previously mentioned Toyota (and it probably does) if you let it go you'll get more related codes, like the gas cap code, and P0440, P0441, P0442, etc. even though you might only have one problem.

I really hate this code. On the Toyota I replaced a really hard to get to valve wedged under the car near the gas tank (very difficult to remove a rusted out philips head screw in a bad location). Of course I put in a stainless steel hex head bolt when I put in the new valve. The code came back around 4-6 weeks later, then I coated the gas cap gasket with a light coat of oil and reset the codes, and in the 2-3 months since then it hasn't come back, but I would not be surprised if it did. Toyota wants you to replace the valve that I did, plus an OEM only charcoal canister assembly that contains 2 valves on it, plus all the vacuum hoses in the canister area (they seem to think that the if the vacuum hoses aren't cracked, they therefore must be clogged). All of this is in a really poor location too.

The rusted in philips head screw that requires and offset screwdriver to remove, if you can remove it at all makes this design particularly crappy as well. All they needed to do was to spend a couple of cents more for a stainless steel hex head screw like I did and it would have made the replacement job a whole lot easier since I could have gotten a wrench on it (no space for ratchet).
zzyzzx is offline   Reply With Quote