Thread: Rattle
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2015, 12:50 AM   #7
That01Olds
GLS member

That01Olds is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
It sounds like the AC clutch has a little play in it. Common with GM cars since my Alero, Mom's 01 Cavalier, and yes, even my 1985 Delta 88 all do the same thing. Also all 3 cars have never had this rattle lead to AC failure.

I've never replaced my AC compressor on the Alero either, but I have had them replaced at the mech, 3 times. Yes I'm on my 4th compressor and all three times it failed because of a crack in the bottom of the AC comprssor's case and it couldn't hold pressure. Cost was in the $600-$800 range, and you have to depressurize the system to do it correctly. If you pop a line off yourself, yeah it's not a good idea because it will hurt the enviroment and can cause frostbite

In all, it doesn't make the $900 price tag seem too bad to replace all the Volvo's AC stuff, esp since it will have a lifetime warranty. Volvo is known for AC issues as far back as 1995

Yeah, that's honestly why I never replaced mine lol. Didn't see a point in spending $600-800 to fix it when it was still working just fine. It just rattled when you had the A/C on. Nothing I couldn't live with.

The A/C was actually one thing my Volvo wasn't having issues with when I had it. The air was so cold in that car it was like it was blowing snowflakes out of the vents lol. Instead I just had the sensor in the accelerator assembly go out and not even a day after getting that fixed either the key or the ignition was going to have to be replaced cause the car kept giving the immobilizer message and wouldn't start. None of those parts were cheap to replace and I ended up getting rid of the car cause there was no telling what else would go wrong with it after that and I didn't have that kind of money to keep throwing at it.

It's a shame cause most Volvo's are usually good cars, but that particular one had all the signs of being a money pit.
2005 Mazda6 S Wagon 3.0L V6 (MZI) (Sold).
2013 Mazda3 i Touring Sedan 2.0L I4 (Skyactiv-G) (Sold).
2010 Chevrolet HHR LT 2.2L I4 (LE8) (Sold).
1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue GX 3.5L Twin Cam V6 (LX5) (Sold).
2001 Oldsmobile Alero GL 2.4L (LD9) (Sold).
That01Olds is offline   Reply With Quote