Thread: local shops
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2011, 07:03 AM   #31
cherrington17
Gone

cherrington17 has a spectacular aura aboutcherrington17 has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to cherrington17
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistershakez View Post
is it necessary to replace the drain plug gasket?

and will ac delco iridiums be good?

Take a look at the bolt when you go to remove it. If its weeping oil around the bolt, OR after you take it out, the gasket is cracked/dry rotted... then yes.

A new bolt (with a magnet on the end to catch metal shavings) is only a couple bucks. I rounded mine off, so I had to get a new one.

If none of the above, no. Keep the old one. If any of the above, then yes.

Also... since your new to this. Loosen the bolt until you can turn it by hand. Then get your bucket underneath, and slowly turn the bolt by hand, pushing it up into the oil pan. (to keep oil from coming out) until you clearly have it completely unthreaded and the only thing stopping oil is the bolt your holding in place. Then quickly remove the bolt, and let the oil drain. (best way to avoid coating your hand in possibly warm oil)

Also... keep in mind the oil doesn't drain straight down. The pan outlet is angled slightly. Have your pan about 5" off to the side its angled on. Or else you'll have a huge mess when you miss it.