View Single Post
Old 10-30-2011, 07:47 PM   #12
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
And you ask why I won't turbo my car.

Exactly how much money did you save by not doing it right the first time?
Well, it was "right" the first time, it was built using a Fel-Pro to handle just the wimpy supercharger. I originally never planned to turbo.

In order:
  1. Fel-Pro:
    Original build's Fel-Pro blew with my small turbo @ 14 psi. I decided to use the readily available GM gasket this time because people told me it was stronger than the Fel-Pro, and I used head studs this time.
  2. GM:
    I switched to the GT3076R and turned up the boost to 16 psi. GM gasket leaked. This time I decided to use Cometic, but I neglected to use copper spray, and I also improperly torqued the head down.
  3. Cometic (dry):
    It never sealed from the get go, I just attributed the overheating/coolant issues to other various things (hoses/reservoir/etc.) Coolant began showing up in the cylinders though and that's when I knew. I installed a new Cometic with copper spray this time.
  4. Cometic (copper spray):
    I neglected to resurface the head, leaving deep scoring marks around the cylinder sealing surfaces, yet this Cometic held up extremely well, with absolutely ZERO issues, for 6 months, until the day I decided it would be smart to do two full-cold engine wide-open throttle runs to show off to a co-worker. It appeared to generate a weak point/small leak. I still took it to the track the next week, and the head gasket of course leaked more, but I kept my foot in it, full wide open throttle for 10 seconds AFTER the head gasket initially blew severely... and that is what caused the following damage.

So I got it down to the head today.

I took off the head and noticed severe damage on the multi-layer stainless steel gasket. It melted away between the cylinder and the coolant jackets on cylinders 2 & 3.

I saw the head and said HOLY SHIT! But I remembered someone was selling a head on JBO for cheap.. and I was like, well not that big of a deal...

But then I saw the #2 piston.

Guess I shouldn't've stayed at 100% throttle for 10 seconds when the head gasket blew.. if I let off as soon as it started smoking, all it would've needed was a resurface and new gasket..
[ion] C2 is online now   Reply With Quote