View Single Post
Old 03-26-2024, 02:01 PM   #377
[ion] C2
636 whp

[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute[ion] C2 has a reputation beyond repute
So after the plastic clutch line piece broke, the car's been at the transmission shop. I had them install the braided-line capable hydraulic release bearing that Clutch Masters provided, however, it turns out it was too tall, and is pressing on the pressure plate at all times, requiring another removal and reinstall with a correctly sized hydraulic release bearing.

The OEM and auto parts store type are 1.38 - 1.45" at their minimum height, whereas the Clutch Masters is apparently 1.925". The transmission shop revealed that there was difficulty in installation due to the throwout bearing pressing on the pressure plate, and longer bolts were necessary to install (which makes sense because the mounting flange was fairly thick compared to the stock.

I never measured the minimum height between them. Huge mistake. It's been like pulling teeth to get answers from Clutch Masters, and today I finally learned that their bearing was too tall. So now I know for certain it is a part problem, not a strange master cylinder or hydraulic issue.

I'm trying to get them to make the same thing, just with the proper minimum height. Yesterday, they told me theirs was about 1.70", so I said OK, make it 0.25" shorter and we should be good. Today they told me it's 1.925" and they can try to make it 0.25" shorter than that, which is 1.675". The one I just took out of the car can only go down to 1.70", so it would probably be fine.

Car's been sitting for a month. I would really like to drive this damn thing more than it sits. It's going to be getting warm out and I don't have A/C still. That's reserved for the big rust-free chassis project, as no point in wasting time/effort/money on this car more than necessary. I just want to drive it. I spent so much money on it just to be foiled by a stupid hydraulic fluid leak. Plastic parts breaking because they can't handle the pressure or heat.

Also, the guy 3D scanning my transmissions and spare engine met with me to show me the AWD trans overlaid with stock trans and engine. Looks like the axles exit in the same spot which is nice. Got some measurements, and working on having an adapter plate made. The clutch setup on this will be an entirely different can of worms. A custom flywheel/hub system that allows for the use of a pilot bearing will be necessary, and definite collaboration with a clutch company for the other components to make everything fit just right. We'll see if I can convince them to cooperate.

[ion] C2 is offline   Reply With Quote