View Single Post
Old 03-24-2012, 10:52 AM   #16
xXManwhoreXx
GLS member

xXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond reputexXManwhoreXx has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philbar71 View Post
1. Where should I buy a engine from? I plan on getting a long block (block and heads) and using the accessories and manifolds off of my current engine. Is the best route to go to get a used motor?

Craigslist or junkyard if your having the motor going through you can get a bore and start fresh with plus size pistons.

Quote:
2. I will be taking it to a machine shop and having them rebuild the bottom end with Clevette 77 bearings. While they have it, and if the shop will do it, I will have them do the 2.3 oil pump swap. What are other basic things that I should have the machine shop to do to make sure the block and heads are in good condition?

I would have them also Magnaflux the block and head, soda blast, than iff you are getting new pistons have them deburred and the tops smoothed out, and the rest is obvious things you should have them do.

Quote:
3. Are there any other modifications to the block and/or head that should be done while they have it?

I'm not positive but I know with my honda I had to notch my block to give proper room for full rod expansion with heat, look into the clearance of the rods end cap with the main girdle and the rod shaft with the cylinder walls at half stroke. You don't want any contact at 6k....

Quote:
4. Would it be worth it to get aftermarket, forged rods and pistions while its being rebuilt too?

Yes! After market rods and pistons are a great idea especially if your shooting for anything over factory HP.

Quote:
5. IF I do go with forged rods and pistons, would I see any benefit to bumping the compression up to 10:1? Down the road I would like to slap the GM Supercharger and a good tune. I also have a set of secret cams that will go in the new engine as well.

Yes! High compression is always great for any kind of boost and if you are able to do it now it would make the S/C setup much more powerful than a lower compression setup that was identical other than compression.

Quote:
6. Also, what head gasket should I go with? I want to never have to crack this engine open ever again pretty much.

I am a strong believe on Cometic headgaskets... literally bullet proof. Unless you are Chris and do Wot passes with a cold engine.
xXManwhoreXx is offline   Reply With Quote