Thread: dents question
View Single Post
Old 06-29-2008, 08:54 AM   #66
bdyman
GLS member

bdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond reputebdyman has a reputation beyond repute
i guess this is where my phd in rocket science comes into play now, when we heat metal, and we see it turns black from the torch, that is called the ankeeling process iam sure spelled wrong but iam a dumba ss so i cant spell either
and as its hit with a metal shaping hammer, on a panle beater, using different shapes and sizes of hammers we can achieve any shape we want, then it goes into a english wheel, and it is countinued to be shaped,
when heat is applied to a already shaped piece of metal like a door/hood, roof/ what have you again we see black from the torch and the metal reacts differently due to its already shaped, and on small dents POP the dent comes right out, but doing this takes allot of metal experience to long and to much heat you will see the panel just buckle under the torch
is the dumb ass phd rocket scientist explaining all this for ya guys in a layment term kinda why??
when we use dry ice, it is placed on the metal, again the akneeling process but a cold process, cold shrinking its called as well, the dry ice is placed on the dent, and we can see the dent slowly moving , and POP dent is gone, but only and only on dents the sixe of a quater, not dents that have a huge crease
so is that cool, can i have my phd in science now
bdyman is offline   Reply With Quote