View Single Post
Old 09-08-2014, 09:20 AM   #17
AleroB888
GLS member

AleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond reputeAleroB888 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by AleroB888 View Post
....Next, I added the disc assembly to the tailpipe and retested. This time, the sound was much quieter than the baseline system (CAT-Borla-Magnaflow).
Unfortunately, the backpressure increased by a factor of two, I now got 8-10 psi @ WOT, and 2-4 psi when nudging it into boost, 2k-3k rpm. That is not acceptable. The long bolts supplied with the kit will allow more discs to be added. You could double the number of discs if you wanted to, but extra discs are not really cheap either, and no doubt would be louder. I did kind of like the look of them installed, and the weight was only a couple pounds, about 10 less than the muffler........

Added another 12-pack of discs (part#504-6512) to the assembly and did a road test, and it was louder than the 12 discs, but still not as loud as the straight-through system. The sound is a different type than typical mufflers, for sure. Snarling, growly (gnarly??) sound, but not really raspy. I kind of like it, actually, from inside the car. Can't say what it's like from outside.

You have to pay attention to aligning the discs and not overtightening when assembling to get an even spacing between them. After testing on a hot day and getting what seemed like too much backpressure, I reassembled it and retested on a cooler day. That time it did better, but I don't have any real numbers for backpressure yet. I would like to add a couple more discs, yet I don't want to pay for a whole twelve pack. I'll watch eBay.