Thread: B&M shift plus
View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #35
widbyj
GL Member

widbyj is on a distinguished road
I would suspect the fluid pump inside the trans also. Mine has started to make more noise, similar to a Ford power steering pump, also in the last few months. The noises started to be noticeable about the same time as I was finally able to get the engine to run properly in closed-loop mode, it probably started to actually use the ECM tuning rather than the defaults (harder/faster shifts). There are also some internal parts in these trannies that GM upgraded from plastic to aluminum over the years, service notes indicate that the plastic pistons would crack and leak fluid (noises) while still functioning fairly well. Newer trannies already have the better parts installed so if you are going to swap one through a junkyard try to find the most recent one they have... I suggest checking/changing the fluid and filter to get an idea of whether any real damage is happening. Adding a trans cooler and gauges to monitor heat and pressure might help you keep it happy longer also. Oh, stay away from the redline also, power peaks well below that point.
widbyj is offline   Reply With Quote