Thread: Knock questions
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 12:19 AM   #1
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
Knock questions

As I mentioned in my thread about possibly getting a different alero, on saturday morning when I first started it, it was on for about 10 seconds and was heavily knocking, I shut it off, it started a little hard but the knock was gone and for a couple days ran with no knock at all...tonite when I got back to my apartment I noticed that while not even half as bad as the first time there is a little bit of knock again...This is where I have two questions.

The first is that I read that for the ecotec you could end up with an oil filter that has a faulty o ring on the base and it won't hold proper oil pressure. The case of this that I read their knock started a few hundred miles after an oil change, I changed my oil 200-250 miles ago.I plan to try and replace the filter tomorrow and see what that does, but I was wondering if anybody had heard of that or if it made any sense. I have never liked the ecotec oil filter system as it seems like they took something that was simple and has worked forever and made it more complicated and prone to failure.

The second thing is how long should it take for the knock sensor to be triggered. While there were about 10 seconds of major knock on saturday and while I only listened for about 30 seconds, a little longer than that of knock today, shouldn't the knock sensor have triggered the ses light...While I am not sure about saturdays, todays definitely sounded mild enough for the knock sensor to be able to correct, but major enough to do something. Any input on what I should do other than say screw it and drive it til it blows would be much appreciated, because I am getting close to that on my own.
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote