Thread: Knock questions
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 09:06 AM   #6
03glgold
GLS member

03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute03glgold has a reputation beyond repute
Mileage is 157k

For how loud it was the first time, it was just an much knock as when the 454 in our dump truck spun 2 rod bearings only it went away and the dump trucks didn't.

It currently has 5w-30 as the factory suggests, I have used this since I got it, the only reason I agree it could be the filter is they said they only had the issue with cheaper filters and I have the o'rielly brand microguard filter in it. This is where I really wish our car had oil pressure gauges.

It is usually fine on power however through saturday it has been a little sluggish until it was warmed up, so I have been letting it warm up a tad and driving gentle until it is warmed up then returning to normal driving...after the major knock on saturday it ran smooth, all response from cold was great, and then, while I have been starting the car with the door open to make sure there wasn't that heavy knock on startup, when I started to drive it was a little sluggish again. But after about a quarter of a mile on the road it warmed up a hair and response was good again.

I don't know why it would cause that but could the fact that in the 134k before I got it I only know of it having about 5 oil changes, and then in the 23k that I have put on it I have tried to take car of it so it has had 5 oil changes since I have gotten it...My question is, since the oil is actually changed regularly now are the detergents starting to break sludge and stuff loose, and that could be an issue.

Before anybody says tensioner both the timing and balance assemblies were replaced 4k ago

I would like to get this figured out and hope that it can be resolved between part store loner tools and what little tools I have...Regardless of if it is fixed or not I am going home next wednesday which is a 150 mile trip...If I can't figure out the problem and it goes then so be it, however I am not wanting to do anymore major repairs on this one...When my uncle gets the title together and I give him the rest of the money, if I include the timing chain repair, replacing the fuel pump, and the cost of the vehicle I will be in it around $2100 and I have got almost 23k out of it so it still averages out to be a good deal and regardless of what happens I still plan to own an alero. I will try some of these suggestions and see what happens.
03glgold is offline   Reply With Quote