View Single Post
Old 11-20-2014, 02:02 AM   #3
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
I wouldn't do additives. Dropping the oil viscosity is as easy as using 0w30 or even 0w20 (what the euro cars use).... HOWEVER know that when you thin out the oil, you also DROP the OIL PRESSURE. Thinner oil simply will clear the engine's oil passages faster which would in turn circulate faster. This would just make it so the internals like the bearings wear out faster.

I would just stick to 5w30. It's rated for winter. The 5W stands for winter rating. In the winter, moreso when the engine is cold, it's a 5 weight oil. You're in Georgia anyways. Georgia has an easier winter than say Wisconsin or Michigan where it drops to or near 0F.

It's been dropping to 25 here in DC and my Camaro still has 10w30. The engine was built for that specific oil weight. I'm not having issues with it. I'll probably start having issues with it if I go to Maine or something.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote