View Single Post
Old 04-11-2006, 08:05 PM   #1
O1gagt

It has been about a month now, but I have swapped the 3500 top end to my 01 Grand Am GT. I have been playing with the tune when I have time and I am getting it close. The car seems to pulls alot harder even with a little KR.

There were a few obsticles and changes, but noting too major.

Some of the things I had to do:

1.) The 3500 gasket set (which at this time is only available through GM) uses a gasket now to seal where the LIM and block meet. The 3400 block is not drilled for these new gaskets, so if you want to use them you must drill the block or use a large pile of RTV. I chose to drill the block and had no problems. You will need to drill 4 holes less than 1/4" deep, however make sure to have a vac running and grease the drill bit

The Gasket:

Drilling the Block:

Gasket in Place:

2.) The Coolant Temp Sensor on the 3500 is no located in the side of the rear cylinder head as opposed to on the water neck. This called for a 6" extention to the wiring harness.

3.) The Cam Position Sensor harness had to be extended 6" due to the height difference of the 3500 manifolds.

4.) The Map sensor connector had to be replaced to be switched to the new style connector used on the 3500. The correct pig tail can be found on 98+ Chevy Cavaliers.

5.) The neck on the 3500 Plenum had to be ground significantly, due to the 3400's fuel pressure regulator. An epoxy putty was used to fill spots where the metal became too thin on the 3500 Plenum neck.

My mod list is as follows:

3500 Heads

3500 LIM

3500 Plenum

65mm TB and Adapter from http://60degreev6.com/store/

TOG Headers

Borla Catback

(I am currently working on tuning via DHP Powrtuner)

I will be getting dyno and track results as soon as I can get everything tuned as I currently have about 10 degrees of KR.

Here are more pics of the swap.