View Single Post
Old 03-14-2010, 12:10 PM   #31
TdotAlero
GL Member

TdotAlero is on a distinguished road
Great choice to go with the Pirelli tires. I have put a set of those 18" Pirelli on a G35 about a month ago, and I asked the guy later how he likes them. He said the traction he gets is really good, as we ll as a nice, smooth ride.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanderWiFi View Post
I read on some of those tires that they get them hot so they stick better and all that jive. I have no idea what design of tire to get-some of the tires they say get so hot and sticky that it is great for racing but you lose mpg-I don't want that! A nice grand touring tire seems like it would do: something that looks and rides nice but isn't going to throw me off the road.
The snow tires are made using very soft rubber. If you look at the thread design, it is supposed to look (and act) like a sponge, absorbing water and snow and throwing it away. When you drive on a cold, snowy road, they work perfectly. However most of them have a very low speed rating. This means that if you go on a highway, having 4 regular snow tires, and do a regular 130km/h, the rubber becomes so soft, close to a chewing gum. The rubber sticks to the road at a great speed (also because it heats up), and what happens with time, is what is called "feathering". Feathering is a tire edge wear, when due to high speed and tire temperature, the edge deforms and creates uneven spots/bumps. This might later lead to quicker tire wear, and, of course, a very rough and bumpy ride. So tbh snow tires are the best for city driving in a snow.

On a side note, when you put the new rims and tires on, don't forget to get the alignment done - you will extend the life of your tires!
TdotAlero is offline   Reply With Quote