View Single Post
Old 11-24-2014, 03:21 AM   #6
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepope870 View Post
i haven't verified it but it seems more or less like a process of elimination. i cannot come up with any other possible cause of this.

While completely ignoring the electrical side of starting up? Idk man, but I'd get the alt, starter, and battery tested just to be sure.... This would be the most "simplest" thing to eliminate. The parts store can do this for you with the alt, starter, and batt. in the car... actually it's better when it's done this way as you can see the load it carries. On another note, the Alero and Grand Am act weird when the terminals aren't serviced/cleaned.

I would clean/replace the terminals (the screws that go in the battery) and borrow a scanner from the parts store (just tell them you want to check codes and read data) so you can see what the computer sees.

Another thing. I've ran cars with bad sensors before, if the AFR is adjusted by the PCM, all it will do is run rich. It has no effect on starting the car up. The PCM orders more or less fuel to be delivered based on what it sees after the first couple seconds. This is also why engines start out somewhat revved up (go up to 1500-2000rpm then slow down to 500-700rpm). A bad IAT wouldn't have a noticeable effect as a bad MAF. The MAF is the one that makes the car die or not want to start. I would think the MAF is bad before the IAT. The PCM usually goes on the reading of the MAF first, then the IAT if it's failing (and if it will stay running, it usually runs rough and cuts off if it's bad). This is of course assuming you have the 3400 and not the 2.2 Ecotec which doesn't have a MAF.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote