View Single Post
Old 01-03-2008, 03:51 PM   #1
GA_turbo
GX Member

GA_turbo is on a distinguished road
99 to a 00 ecu swap great news.

Yeah i figure is was just best to share my knowledge so, but i dont know why i can edit it now but here is a better post for ya with alot more info.

Well im happy to say that yes it can be done very easy , how ? well i just spent all day yesturday with a friend of mine at the dealership and we printed out the pinouts for the 99 grand am and a 2000 grand am and the only diference is that the 2000 doesnt have an EGR thats all ,everything match perfect but here is the deal now , my 99 for some odd reason has a BCM and from what ive i have found some say that BCM only came on the 00 and up but then why does mine have it? i dont know, because mine is an early 99, also i got the 00 ECU in my car and did the hole relearning deal for the ecu and the car start it just fine.

This are some of the questions that probably are going to be asked.

1. doesnt 99 have low impedence injectors and the 00 have high impedence?
answer is yes that is right , you will need to get high impedence injectors thats the only major mod you will have to do.

2. how hard is it to get the ECU out?
answer very easy , at least for my grand am was i dont know about the alero but mine was cliped under the driver side dash, once you move the clips the ecu pretty much just falls right out.

3. if i have an EGR in mine would it hurt the performance if i remove it ?
answer is no, because now you have deleted the hole egr deal, so in other words you can now eliminate the egr and get a block off plate for it and or get the exhaust manifold gasket for a 00 with no egr at your local autoparts store. On another note you can also get a late 99 and up intake manifold wich came without the egr inlet ( no more heat in your intake from the exhaust ) more cold air better performace, im not saying you are goin to get like 20hp out of this but you will get a little better gas mileage and run a little cooler in the summer.

BCM...... is the same also, they just switch the remote for the keyless entry so thats the only difference so basicly if you dont have keyless entry now you will if you replace the bcm also, you just need the remote, but dont quote me on this, i havent tried the keyless yet. Also they got more technical with the names for the pinouts on the 00 but they are still all the same as the 99.

As for the GM supercharger reflash the only hard part of it will be to get gm to give it to you since they dont give it out to anybody unless you bought the charger from them so pretty much you will have to know someone that either works there or you will have to convince the gm tech to do the reflash for you. I will make this a little easy for you since they have to sit on the phone to get the program and this takes a little while so here are the calibration numbers for the j bodies and n bodies.

Calibration PN’s
J manual transmission 88960494
J auto transmission 88960495
N manual transmission 88961331
N auto transmission 88961332

J- Chevrolet Cavalier and Pontiac Sunfire
N- Pontiac Grand Am

this is the number that they have to get when they call the 1 800 # so pretty much you just saved your self 30min of labor.

you will also need a 2 bar map sensor, the gm map part number is 09350899
and some high impedence fuel injectors, the program is set to run 310cc injectors wich are only good for like 4-5 psi of boost.

I hope this helps future aleros that want to do the GM supercharger reflash and run some turbos.

This is only for the 2.4 auto ld9 auto, i havent looked at the alero pinouts to see if they are the same but i know this worked on my 99 grand am 2.4, also since i figure out the auto tranny one, now someone else has to do the 5 speed one, all of his running around to get all the info made my head hurt...LOL

ALSO MAKE THIS A STICKIE SINCE I PUT SO MUCH TIME INTO THIS PLEASE, and so it doesnt get asked again, and if someone has any info that i might of have left out feel free to share it with us. The calibration numbers came from J-body.org all other info is from me.

Last edited by Oldsman : 01-12-2008 at 09:18 AM.
GA_turbo is offline   Reply With Quote