View Single Post
Old 01-06-2015, 03:31 AM   #15
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redog View Post
I saw one of those Heart VA plates today to the way to work. Also it was some punk ricer in a Civic Si cruising around trying to look tough, but scared that he's in Philly. HAHA in my neighborhood too. The only thing city about where I live is the ZIP code

Ahhh I know what you're talking about too. Here in DC, we call those Virginia F**kboys. Contrary to what it implies, it's just a term for a wanna be, a poser, a wanksta, etc. People don't believe me when I say a river is all that seperates 2 worlds within the same area. DC and MD are vastly different than the "Northern" area of VA (the place close to DC). In fact Central and Southern VA doesn't even like its northern portion. How Ironic is that?

That person in that ricer are the same people that say "I go to DC" but don't go to the real DC. They wouldn't step anywhere close to the areas closer to MD. Katt Williams once said "While people go out to look at DC, DC is actually looking at them". Basically means while they think they're "in DC" at the safe areas aka the downtown and federal area, the actual city of DC is looking at them acting all brand new and ignorant. I actually have met people that forget people live there.

Quote:
They are skipping numbers here as well. I remember when we had 6 numbers/letters on the plates. Then they started crying that they were running out of combos and had to go to the 7 space plates like they have now.

Doesn't PA have some odd rule that there can't be certain letters in certain positions? I remember hearing that the 2nd letter in a license plate can't be a vowel, so instead of KAA, the run starts at KBA or something like that. VA cried the same thing about the plates when they went to 4 numbers instead of 3 (AAA 101)... but VA is weird because their license plates don't start at AAA-0001 like DC and MD does. VA starts at AAA-1001. VA and DC don't use Q, and I on the plates, and MD doesn't use Q, U, and I. I never knew why on the U. This whole area has license plates all over the place. I know DC jumps so oddly. They were issuing ER XXXX during the summer but jumped to EU XXXX by years end despite not finishing the series, yet they end up being "backfilled', so you'll see cars with EU XXXX running around but out of nowhere a car with ET XXXX comes out the blue. I'm pretty sure the DMV isn't the only one issuing license plates anymore. I know MD and VA allows car dealers to issue permanent license plates

Quote:
In 1988, the first 3 letters of my parents car was TEK, and it wasn't until 1993 they had to go to AAA. They were 1/4 way thru Cxx and they went right to Dxx with the new plates and reissued everything in PA with the new style plates. It was done by ZIP code. Even number ZIP codes got their plates first, The odds got theirs last. This was in 2000, but that's also when I bought the Alero. I lived in an even ZIP code, but I went personalized anyway.

Was that when they got rid of the blue "you've got a friend" license plate?

Virginia went to 3 letters/4 numbers in 1993. They didn't bother with another 6 combination run. Maryland went from NZZ-999 to 1AB-A00 in 2006ish. They skip AAA for some reason.

This area doesn't replate so you'll see the older plates running around every now and then. It's much interesting in DC since they had embossed plates up until 2001. Then they went flat.

Quote:
Right now they are almost done Jxx, Just waiting to see the Kxx plates which should be anyday now because it's a new year.

I have had every plate since the reissue too.

ex's 95 Accent was a D
ex's 02 Cavailer was an E
my 93 cavalier Wagon was an F
My first 85 Delta was a G
My 2nd 85 Delta was an H
My Volvo is a J

There was no I plates issued, and the first wife's cars, yeah I paid for both of them anyway, so...

Hahah, I'm waiting to see what MD is going to do once June comes around. They have a limited edition run of license plates that commemorates the Star Spangled banner's 200th anniversary. It replaced the standard issue across 3 classes but will be reverting to their original design. Maryland issues car, SUV, and truck plates separately instead of plating them in the same series. Trucks get 01x-234, SUVs and Vans get M123456, although the "M" changes position when a run is done. I'm told the truck and van plate are exhausting their combination availabilities and hence why the SSB 200 plates were supposed to be a replate but was changed at the last minute. So that's kinda why I'm interested. MD license plates conflict themselves because of the 6 digit combinations. Right now, MD does a normal run for all classes of private cars (normal cars, trucks, SUVs and Minivans) but reverts back to the different types come June.

I kept my GA plates too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by That01Olds View Post
Yeah I agree that the design itself wasn't bad, but like you said the sun really killed it. So much so that I remember seeing on CNN back in 2004 that it was the most hated license plate in the country. A year later Kentucky replaced the "It's that friendly" plates with the current "Unbridled Spirit" ones. We actually had a similar design on the plates here in Tennessee from 2000-2006. However they took a much more simpler approach with ours as you can tell from the pic below. In my opinion this design looked way better than the one Kentucky tried to pull off with theirs.

That is funny that more people are going for the optional plates now instead of the standard ones, but when you look at the new ones you can definitely understand why. I know I would go for an optional plate over those. The numbering system for our license plates has changed twice since I've lived here, but its still always gone in order from where they started issuing a certain format and hasn't jumped around like it has there.

For example with the old plates pictured below they used a AAA-000 format, but when they started issuing the new plates in 2006 they changed to a 000-AAA format. Then when they ran out of the plates with that format they swapped over to the current format, which is A00 00A. The only other thing that changed with this last format swap was the addition of the state tourism website (www.tnvacation.com) at the bottom of our plates right above the county sticker.

I like Tennessee's current design, but hate that they went flat. Those flat plates are annoying to read at night or whenever there's glare on them because combination isn't raised.

I do wonder what Tennessee will do when they get to Z99-99Z. I feel that combination style was better off in DC. They went through those plates pretty fast in TN. It usually takes 3 to 4 years to progress a letter in DC. EA-0001 was late 2011 early 2012, and FA-0001 should show up sometime late this year. Perhaps around summer.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote