View Single Post
Old 04-06-2013, 03:02 AM   #25
Nas Escobar
GLS member

Nas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond reputeNas Escobar has a reputation beyond repute
The Supra and Skyline engines are one off type of engines though... I know there's some beast Japanese and European engines, but mass produced; Americans have been known to put power in their cars. The majority of Japanese cars are underpowered, that's fact. Sure they can come up with a nice engine like the 2JZ, but not once did Toyota use that engine, even in its natural aspired form in a car that was meant to be sold at a lower price point.... for USDM anyways. (I know you would have brought up the Toyota Chaser). As far as the RB24DETT goes, that engine isn't even US legal. It's pointless to bring it up. USDM wise, Japanese cars plain suck. Sure there's a nice car every now and then, but the majority of them just suck. They're either underpowered, ugly as hell, or marketed to some weird demographic. I mean truthfully, there's a reason why you don't see people "preserving" old Japanese cars like you do with American, and thats why... historically, the cars have been underpowered or geared to either chicks, people looking for a small car, basic transportation, etc. Not once can you say that a Japanese car company put a large engine in a car that really didn't need it. Where's the V6 Civics? Where's the turbocharged Corollas? You'll never find them because in a Japanese car, you had to step up to a high end car like a Skyline or a Supra to get a real engine, not some fuel sipping "I can't get to 100mph" joke of an engine.

Don't think I'm coming with the "Uber 'Murikan" crap here. I respect a real car when I see it, but I refuse to praise an overhyped car like a Civic (which really, I don't see how it's considered a sports car when it's factory built to be basic transportation).

I leave you with this... Just because I thought it was cool.

If Japanese car companies had the balls to do this, like how the 454 and 350 found its way to just about every car, then I'd have more respect for Japanese cars.
1996 Infiniti G20
1993 Chevrolet Lumina Z34
1989 Buick Regal Limited
Nas Escobar is offline   Reply With Quote